Sunday, June 9, 2013

Budgeteer Prototype

So I've decided to call my little project Budgeteer (Like a muskateer, yet different!) And I've only been working on it the past few days while I sit on the bus back and forth from work, but it's coming along nicely. I have a rather simple front end with no persistence between page refreshes, and a backend that performs a very simple calculation and sends it's response back. But I do like it. I've also just started playing with css3 media queries in order to detect phones. So I've used a little bit of those to make the application appear nicely on my mobile emulator. I'm using Ripple to do my emulation, and so far I'm enjoying it's injection of tiny hippos (I'm not kidding, check out the javascript log when using the extension.) It's really nice.

Anyway,without further adieu here's the results from this week:

What it looks like in a browser

What it looks like on a phone (emulated by Ripple)

The code itself hasn't made it's way to github yet, and is instead sitting on a private repository on my bitbucket account. Also, you may recognize the color scheme from my previous post about javascript caching, that's because this application is using my little library to cache results so it doesn't need to query for the same thing more than once. Of course, when you submit a request to have your budget analyzed, it's not going to prevent you because you've done the action already, but once I implement the sql side of things (which I probably will soon), I plan on having the budget for a session retrieved from the server with the cache using localstorage so it doesn't have to be done more than once. Of course I do need to checkout if local storage is preserved between page refreshes or not.

There's still a lot of variables to be done before this small application is done and doing something really cool, but for not it's just a neat little application with room for improvement. I plan on adding some more budget buddy-esk features in (dates and whatnot) and then plan on having the tool use that type of information to advise you

No comments:

Post a Comment