Monday, November 21, 2011

Wii Smartboard

The WiiSmartBoard that I'm working on with CS Crew is really coming along, we started working on it 2 days a week every week since early September. We're writing it in C# and using an open source library for interfacing with the Wiimote through bluetooth. When we first started working on it I went and looked through all the documentation for the WiiMote and found out which bits and bytes were returned from the wiimote and was ready to write my own assembly level parsing code. But then we were lucky enough to find the library that we did and I could focus on the actual concepts instead of the nitty gritty detail.
The cool thing is that we're going to attempt to implement a 2 and a half D flicking system to switch between "slides". I suppose I should talk a little bit more about the details.

We're using the Wiimote as a receiver for an infrared pen we built. We're drawing onto bitmaps on our GUI, but we also have buttons that will be able to be clicked. Each bitmap is a slide, stored inside of a lecture class my friend Scott and I created, when we save, we save a .lecture file that holds the information of the order of the slides to load, and saves the images into a subdirectory. It works really well because we're using two stacks to contain the bitmaps, so saving is as easy as popping and pushing them from one slide to the next and saving each one. And then when we load, we just load them in reverse order which is really the right way to do it because of the FILO structure of the stack.

I'm also writing up documentation on it and I'll definitely publish that onto my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment